Making the most of money@headingTag>
Making the most of money is one of five lesson plans belonging to our Young Money accredited primary school financial literacy content for ages 7-11 in P4-7 or Years 3-6 to teach children about money, whilst developing Core Transferable skills. All resources in the suite have been awarded the Young Money Quality Mark. We recommend that you start with Samir’s birthday budget challenge and then complete the remaining four lessons in any order, alternatively you can use them as standalone resources.
- Making the most of money: Lesson plan – for use with a group of students in the classroom or in a remote session
- Making the most of money: Presentation slides – to display to pupils and use alongside the lesson plan, with interactive fields to complete activities as a class
- Lessons overview and alignment to the Financial Education Planning Frameworks: Guide discover how this lesson links to the wider Young Money Financial education framework and objectives, and how it can be delivered flexibly alongside the other lessons in this suite
- Making the most of money: Online lesson film – interactive film for remote or in class learning
Lesson learning outcomes
By the end of the lesson pupils will be able to:
- Feel confident and in control of their financial situation
- Understand why we should all be critical consumers and think carefully about how we use our money
- Understand why making informed decisions will help make the most of the money they have
The Making the most of money lesson focuses on value for money and the ways that products in shops can be promoted, helping children start to become critical consumers. Pupils combine their maths and money skills to work out what will give them the best value for money. The activity also includes a challenge which helps to develop the core transferable skill of creativity, focusing on different persuasive advertising techniques so pupils can evaluate what would make them more likely to buy something.
The activity requires access to a screen and is designed to be completed as a class, either in the classroom or remotely. There is the option to use the short Online lesson film (7 minutes approx.) to deliver this lesson.
Download the full lesson plan pack including all related resources
Making the most of money
Choose to download one or more individual resources
Making the most of money: Lesson plan
Making the most of money: Presentation slides
Lessons overview and Financial education planning framework: Guide
A free account gives you access to all educator content, tools and resources
Already have an account?Log in
Thank you for liking
Help us to continue creating relevant content for you by leaving some additional feedback.