Salaries and payslips@headingTag>
This activity pack is designed to introduce young people to the national minimum and living wage. They’ll learn how to understand payslips, tax codes and National Insurance to better manage their personal finances. It also provides a practical example, which allows participants to apply their learnings by calculating key elements of a payslip.
By the end of the lesson, students will be able to:
- Identify different sources of income including job salaries, benefits and bursaries, returns on investment and borrowing
- Discuss the difference between the minimum wage and the living wage
- Understand how tax (PAYE) and National Insurance Contributions are calculated
- Interpret all the key elements of a payslip, explain what they mean and demonstrate how to calculate the different tax deductions
- Consider the benefits employees can access beyond their salary
- Identify a number of different websites and resources, to further support and improve their understanding of how to manage personal finances
To access worksheets for all twelve activity packs in one place, use our ‘Setting yourself up for financial independence’ workbook.
Other LifeSkills lessons are also suitable for use with care leavers to support them on their employability journey, here are some to get started with:
A free account gives you access to all educator content, tools and resources
Already have an account?Log in
Thank you for liking
Help us to continue creating relevant content for you by leaving some additional feedback.